Differences Between Laminate and Hardwood Flooring
Deciding between laminate and hardwood flooring, really comes down to your budget and these few differences. The reason laminates are the cheap wood floors of our industry, is due to the manufacturing process. They are designed to keep cost down – Think IKEA!
Laminates Are The Cheap Wood Floors
- Unlike hardwood flooring laminate floors will repeat patterns, on every third or fourth board, whereas hardwood is naturally formed and will contain variations.
- Laminate flooring stands up to traffic just like hardwood but they are designed to be durable. Hardwood flooring tends to dent easily and will need to get refinished every 10-25 years.
- Hardwood generally cost about 25% more but, will increase the resale value on a home.
- Laminates cannot be refinished and will need to get replaced over time. Hardwood flooring can always be refurbished.
- Laminate flooring has a lot of water resistant properties and can be installed into kitchens and bathrooms. Take caution when considering this, because laminate can ripple if water gets underneath the protective layers. Hardwood will swell with moister and needs to have low humidity levels.
- Hardwood floors will last 25+ years whereas laminates will only last around 8+.